This Stewardship moment comes to you from the treasurer at St. James Presbyterian Church in Jenks, OK. He and his pastor gave us permission to share it with you.
Consider the time, treasure and testimony you can give to our church…
Due to popular demand, here is Treasurer Terry Kok’s Stewardship Moment for Mission from Sunday. Thanks, Terry!
Top Ten Things You Don’t Often Hear In Church
10. Hey! It’s my turn to sit in the front pew.
9. I was so enthralled; I never noticed your sermon went 25 minutes over time.
8. Personally, I find witnessing much more enjoyable than golf.
7. How long is the waiting list to serve on all of our committees?
6. I volunteer to be the permanent teacher for the Sunday School.
5. Isn’t it great that our children race out to children’s church?
4. I love it when we sing songs I’ve never heard before!
3. Since we’re all here, let’s start the service early.
2. Pastor, we’d like to send you to this Bible seminar in the Bahamas.
1. Nothing inspires me and strengthens my commitment like our annual stewardship campaign!
For most people, when they hear the word “stewardship,” they immediately think “it’s all about the money.” We all know that isn’t necessarily the case, so I did some reading this week to find out what others say. It was almost kind of scary, because reading made me realize how I fall far short. So many times I put my own wants first. Stewardship is a Way of Life – where we need to start looking at everything good as a gift from God. Stewardship is about giving back. Stewardship campaigns are about commitment. It’s about realizing how gifted one is and then properly using all the gifts – our time, talent and treasure – in the right proportion. The core of stewardship is gratitude – a gratitude that makes an expression of giving as a way of thankfulness for all that God has given us.
Stewardship is striving to make giving not a financial issue of “can it be done” but a faith issue of “is it a priority”.
Over the next two weeks, let’s all fill out the financial commitment page in the stewardship packet…More importantly, let’s look through time and talent sheet and check or write one thing that will get you closer to this goal of true stewardship.
Let’s strive to make Stewardship a way of life and continually think about how to use our gifts of time, talent and treasure – to give glory to God.